The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Friday, June 16, 2006

One Year Older And Not Much Wiser

Yep, fourty one years ago that's what I looked like, give or take a few months :) Tito woke me up by licking my eyelids (up to this day I am convinced he's trying to pry my eyelids open to get his first breakfast in time), Phoebe has ignored me just as she ignores me every other morning and Shrills had to come in my sewing room to dish out a little birthday morning sugar. To celebrate the over the hill + 1, I decided I had to start another hand pieced wall hanging, mainly because of Rosa and her sharing a picture of an awesome Mariner's Compass on display at Lancaster. I have never made a Mariner's Compass block before, so it's going to be something of a learning curve. So far, I've almost pieced four quarters of one and so far so good, having a wee bit of a problem with mirroring, but other than that and a wee bit also of not so keen eyesight when threading needles, I think I am going to love this one. One year older, but not much wiser. Crazier than ever though!

Shrillbert had to get his whiskers in the first picture of the project and give it his paw of approval. It's missing the blue rays but it's a start. The yellow and red fabrics are from a new Marcus Brothers collection, Lancaster County. I had to have those ever since I saw the preview. I was impressed by the quality too. They have a nice, thick hand and the colors are just as vibrant as they appear in the picture. Hopefully within a few days, there will be a little more to see, if Shrillbert allows, of course. The blocks will be 10 inches, hand pieced. If I hurry, I will be able to enter this one in the Nez Perce Fair in September. It will surely catch everyone's eye! The colors at least :) I'll post more pictures of how I am tackling it as soon as I find a rhyme or a reason to it.

Así era hace cuarenta y un años, pon o quita unos meses :) Tito me despertó hoy con lametazos en los ojos (estoy convencida que lo hace para abrirme los párpados), Phoebe no me hizo ni caso y Shillbert vino conmigo al cuarto de coser para darme cariñitos de cumpleaños. Para celebrar el 40+1, decidí empezar un quilt nuevo a mano. La culpa es de Rosa y de sus fotos de Lancaster, nos enseñó la foto de un Mariner's Compass que me llevaba rondando en la cabeza desde que la ví. Nunca he intentado hacer un Mariner's Compass, así que voy a aprender según coso. De momento solo he tenido un problemilla con el orden de las piezas y otro con enhebrar la aguja. Creo que me va a encantar coserlo. Más vieja, pero no más sabia, si acaso más loca que nunca!

Shrillbert tuvo que meter sus bigotes en la primera foto y darle su visto bueno. Le faltan los rayos azules aún. Las telas roja y amarilla son de una colección nueva de Marcus Brothers llamada Lancaster County. Las quise desde que las ví por primera vez. Me impresionó la calidad cuando las recibí, tienen un grosor y una mano muy buenas y los colores son tan brillantes como han salido en la foto. Espero tener más fotos de aquí a unos dias. Si me doy prisa, lo podré poner en la exposición de la feria del condado de Nez Perce en Septiembre. Los bloques miden diez pulgadas y ya añadiré fotos de como lo voy haciendo según le encuentre el truquillo si lo tiene.

3 Comments:

Blogger la tieta Rosa said...

Muchas Felicidades Marieta ;-)
juego con ventaja ya que antes me habias contado lo que ibas a hacer y sabia que hoy es tu cumple, porque de entender creo que solo entiendo mi nombre :-)))
lo que no sé es lo que han hecho mis sobrinitos?????

un beso
Rosa

1:11 PM  
Blogger SheMeows said...

Tus sobrinillo favorito me ha despertado a la salida del sol :)

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Insulation Contractors Roanoke said...

Thanks greeat blog

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home