The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Thursday, August 17, 2006

I Believe In Fairies

"Peter flung out his arms. There were no children there, and it was night-time; but he addressed all who might be dreaming of the Neverland, and who were therefore nearer to him than you think; boys and girls in their nighties, and naked papooses in their baskets hung from trees.
'Do you believe?' he cried."
Peter Pan, J.M Barrie

Yup, I do. The kind of faire that brings you a donut when you less expect it, and the kind that cleans the bathroom when no one is watching (wait, that's probably a house elf!). I was meaning to take a picture of the two wide borders with the swags, when about to remove the quilt from the ironing board, I noticed there were three extra swags ready to appliqué that I can't remember getting ready yesterday. I thought I had enough for yesterday's work and one extra... I can't account how the other three got there: had to be fairies. Good enough for me on an otherwise blah day, cloudy and muggy.

I came back to pick up the camera and surprise! Shrillbert had decided that he should be in the picture with the quilt. Quick decission then, instead of taking a picture of the borders, I'd show you two of my can't live without quilting tools not bought at the quilt shop. The lint roller is a marvel of modern technology as far as I am concerned. If you live with pets and dry weather, hair clings to everything. I buy the rollers in packs of three, use them even to clean my mat of threads and cat hair. Needless to say, before I can start quilting an area, I have to make a sweep with the lint roller to remove the cat hairs so they won't be permanently quilted into the design. The other tool that looks like a folded car antenna is a telescopic magnet. It keeps me from having to bend down a million times every time I drop a pin (with Phoebe as a helper, that happens quite a few times a day), and it's a vacuum cleaner saver. I do a quick sweep with it before vacuuming. Nine times out of ten, I find the stray pin hiding from me.

As you can see in the picture above, Phoebe was pretending to doze off in a basket. As soon as she saw me draw out the magnet to full length, she had to get in the picture. See why I need to buy the lint rollers in packs of three? If Their Royal Highnesses allow tomorrow, I'll put the quilt on the wall and take a picture of it to pose an interesting question that has had me stumped since Monday and has to do with the connecting bits for the swags.





"Peter abrió sus brazos. No había niños allí y era de noche; pero dirigió su pregunta a todos los que podian estar soñando con NuncaJamás, y que por tanto estaban más cercanos a él de lo que te puedes imaginar; niños y niñas en sus pijamas y en sus papooses desnudos colgando de los árboles.
'Creeís?' Gritó Peter".
Peter Pan, J. M. Barrie

Si, sí que creo. Creo en hadas que te traen un donut cuando menos te lo esperas y en hadas que limpian el baño cuando nadie está mirando (no, esos deben ser elfos domésticos). Iba a hacer una foto al top para mostar los dos bordes que ya tienen medias lunas aplicadas cuando de repente me he encontrado con tres medias lunas preparadas que no recuerdo haber hecho ayer. Pensé que tenía preparadas las suficientes para dos bordes y una extra... no tengo ni idea de donde han salido las otras tres: la explicación más lógica... hadas. Una buena manera de empezar un jueves nublado y húmedo.

Volví para coger la cámara y hacer la foto y Shrillbert se había aposentado encima del quilt. Tomé una decisión rápida. En vez de hacer la foto de los bordes, la haría de Shrillbert y dos de las herramientas para acolchar no compradas en tienda de mercería sin las que no podría vivir. Una es la cinta adhesiva en rollo para quitar pelos de gato. Las compro de tres en tres y las uso todos los dias. Desde limpiar la tabla de corte hasta quitar los pelos que se pegan a la tela con el tiempo seco y la electricidad estática. No sabría estar sin ella. La otra herramienta que parece una antena de coche plegada es un imán telescópico. Me evita tener que agacharme un millón de veces diarias para recoger los alfileres que se me caen (y con Phoebe de ayudanta no exagero, es un millón de veces) y lo paso por la moqueta antes de pasar la aspiradora para recoger los que se me han podido pasar. Nueve de cada diez veces encuentro alguno escondido.

Como vereís en la primera foto, Phoebe estaba haciendose la dormida. En cuanto me vio coger el imán para abrirlo y enseñar lo que mide, se vino a la tabla de planchar para ver a su enemigo más de cerca. Veís porqué compro los rollos de cinta adhesiva de tres en tres? :) Si sus Altezas me dejan mañana, haré una foto de los bordes de las medias lunas para pediros opinion en una pregunta que me lleva dando vueltas en la cabeza desde el lunes y tiene que ver con lo que va a ir en las conexiones de las medias lunas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hola! Soy una quiltera española, y también tengo un gato. Yo para quitar los pelos utilizo los guantes de lavar los platos, esos que usamos de goma, y van de miedo. Lo de la antena es una buenísima idea!!! Me encanta tu blog y tus colchas. Un saludo desde la tierra de la paella.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home