The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Friday, August 11, 2006

Likenesses And Thimbles

The post about finger craters and thimbles made me want to show you a few of the thimbles I have. Then yesterday, Steve and I got into the "you look like your (fill in the blank)" discussion, so I brought out some pictures. I've combined the two here.

The young lady sitting on the bench is my maternal grandmother, Luisa. The glass darning egg was hers. I'm proud to have it. The other smaller photo is of her mother in law, my great-grandmother, Josefa. From what I know, she was a very strong willed lady who had half the kids in the family named after her. If her will was as large as her fingers, I can believe it. The thimble in front of her picture was hers and it fits my thumb rather loosely.
The rest are the progression of thimbles I've used. My first quilting thimble, the leather one with the blue elastic, other leather thimbles that didn't do a very good job in spite of being a lot more comfortable. Then, I started using cotton batting and had to make the transition to metal to keep from getting pricked. My friend Jan gave me a metal thimble that I am using 13 or so years later, the nickel one. Best one I've ever had. Then, I've tried the magnetic top thimble (waste of money, the dimples are huge and few), and last year I discovered the metal open thimble from Clover. Works well, though the needle slips sometimes. The silver one in the center of the picture is an antique I found at an estate sale. Though it is not easy to see in the picture, it's got the tightest grid I've ever seen. It doesn't have dimples. It has a very delicate engraving at the base.

I've been filling up the spaces on the edges with the half appliqué motifs this week. It moved rather slowly and my points are a little pointless, but that's as good as I can get it. Last night I decided to give myself a break from frustration and start sewing the outside borders instead. Nice mindless work for a stormy evening spent wondering how long till the power would go out. After the storm, I went out to check on the alley cats and feed them supper and couldn't resist snapping a picture of the kitten formerly known as Lestat. He's such a sweet cat now, I have changed his name to Leicester. His curly whiskers are unique in an alley full of cats who look like each other so much, it's hard to tell them apart.

Apparently Blogger has hiccupped and won't let me load Leics' picture. Maybe later.

El post de los cráteres de dedo por no usar dedal me hizo querer enseñaros algunos de mis dedales. Ayer Steve y yo estuvimos discutiendo el tema "a quién te pareces?" y saqué algunas fotos antiguas y las he combinado aquí.

La señorita sentada en el banco es mi abuela Luisa. El huevo de remendar calcetines era suyo y ahora es mio. La otra foto pequeña es de su suegra, mi bisabuela Josefa. Lo poco que se de ella es que tenía un genio impresionante y que insisitió que casi todos los nietos se llamaran como ella (mi madre es Josefa, su hermano es José). Si su genio era tan grande como sus dedos, me lo creo. Su dedal, el que está delante de su foto me queda grande en el dedo pulgar. Debía ser una señora de armas tomar.
El resto son dedales que he usado para acolchar durante éstos años. El de cuero con la goma elástica es mi primer dedal de acolchado. He usado otros de cuero, más comodos pero menos efectivos. Luego, cuando empecé a usar guata de algodón tuve que cambiar a dedales de metal. El niquelado me lo regaló mi amiga Jan hace 13 o 14 años. Es el que más uso, el mejor de todos los que he probado de momento. El del imán negro en la parte superior fue un gasto tonto, tiene pocos agujeritos y muy grandes. El verano pasado descubrí el Clover de metal sin punta y me gusta mucho, aunque la aguja se me escapa de vez en cuando con él puesto. El del medio de la foto es uno de plata, antiguo, que encontré en una subasta. Es muy raro porque no tiene agujeritos, sino una rejilla muy fina. También tiene un grabado cerca de la base que aunque no se ve muy bien en la foto es muy delicado.

He estado rellenando los espacios de alrededor del top con el aplicado. Un trabajo más bien lento, porque las puntas no me están quedando muy puntiagudas y me frustra un rato. Me cansé de deshacer, así que lo voy a dejar hacer. Anoché decidí empezar a coser los bordes porque estaba harta de aplicadar y como tuvimos tormentas, tampoco sabía a ciencia cierta cuando/sí se nos iba a ir la luz. Después de la tormenta, salí a dar de cenar a los gatos callejeros y le hice una foto al gato antes conocido como Lestat. Es tan bueno ahora que le cambié el nombre a Leicester. Tiene los bigotes rizados, lo único que le distingue del resto de la manada de gatos negros callejeros.

Blogger no me deja cargar la foto de Leicester. A lo mejor lo intento después.





2 Comments:

Blogger TiempoSoria said...

Si me preguntas a mí.....
a tú bisabuela.... ¿qué dice Steve?
El Quilt cada día mas espectacular, de seguro que se lleva el floripondio azul.

Abrazos

9:14 AM  
Blogger SheMeows said...

Steve dice que a la única que me parezco es a mi madre. Mi madre se debe parecer a su padre, pero no tengo ninguna foto de él. Las narices me vienen de mi abuela paterna, cuando Blogger se decida a dejarme poner fotos, tendré que añadir una suya.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home