The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Why I Quilt

Patti (http://hardenbrookgirl.blogspot.com/) had asked in her blog why we quilt. Not an easy question, actually. I started quilting because of watching episodes of Little House On The Prairie, in the seventies, back at home. I remember thinking how amazing it would be to live in a log cabin, in a small town in the middle of nowhere. And I remember the quilts on the bed where the Ingalls sisters slept. I think at some point, I might have raided the sewing machine cabinet looking for scraps, being disappointed because no one in my family did much sewing, aside from my maternal grandmother and there were none to be had.

Years from that, and having moved to the USA, I decided I wanted to make a quilt. I quilted because it I found out I could, and it caught me by surprise. It came naturally, I never took any classes. I gathered everything I could find in the library, and mind you, there wasn't much to be gathered, got fabric and thread and went for it. I loved seeing a quilt come alive between my fingers. I never cared much for any kind of sewing at all, and I found out in my early twenties I loved to sew quilts.

I quilt now because I realized history was written by men in books and women in quilts. I love the connection that happens every time I look at an old quilt that speaks to me. I love wondering how and why the women made a quilt, why they chose a pattern, what they had to make it with. I can learn what was happening in the world at the time from a book, I can only guess what was happening in their lives and their world thru their quilts.

I quilt because I love the stages of making a quilt, from the first glance at the pattern to sewing the label. It allows creativity to become tangible in a useful object. I love the techical challenge of figuring out a quilt from scratch. And as of lately, I really love showing my work. Keeps me focused and in target. Forces me to do my best. It makes me giddy to see people looking at my work. The experience of seeing a ribbon pinned to one of my quilts for the first time was absolutely undescribable. Every prick, every ripped seam, every second of doubt and frustration becomes worthwhile when I realize other people appreciate it enough to judge it good.

And I quilt because of the invisible threads that join us quilters. Through time, through space, in guilds or in the virtual space of internet. Over a cup of coffee or over keyboard keys, the same bond that happened two hundred years ago happens now when women get together to sew. Women can write history now and can quilt. Isn't that awesome?

Patti del blog http://hardenbrookgirl.blogspot.com/ nos pregunta en su blog porqué hacemos quilts. Es una pregunta dificil de responder. Empecé a hacer edredones por ver los episodios de la Casa De La Pradera en la televisión en los años setenta. Me imaginaba como sería vivir en una casita de madera en medio del campo. Y me enamoré de los quilts de la cama de las hermanas Ingalls. Creo recordar que rebusqué trocitos de tela para hacer uno, pero como en casa nadie aparte de mi abuela cosía, no pude hacer mi quilt.

Cuando llegué a los Estados Unidos, quise hacer un edredón. Y lo hice porque podía, basicamente, y me pilló de sorpresa. Fue algo de lo más natural. Fui a la biblioteca, saqué los pocos libros sobre quilting que tenian, compré telas, agujas e hilo y me puse. Me enamoró ver crecer un quilt entre mis manos. Nunca me gustó coser, pero al cabo de los años, con veintipocos me enamoré del quilting.

Ahora acolocho porque me he dado cuenta de que los hombres han escrito la historia en libros, y las mujeres en edredones. Me gusta encontrar una conexión cuando veo un edredón antiguo y me "habla". Me gusta preguntarme porqué una mujer del pasado hizo un edredón, porque elegió un patrón y no otro. Puedo aprender sobre una determinada época en libros, un edredón me cuenta la misma época a través de los ojos de una mujer.

Hago quilts porque me encanta el proceso, desde elegir el patrón hasta coserle la etiqueta. La creatividad se convierte en un objeto tangible, útil y bello. Me gusta el aspecto técnico de dibujar un quilt de cero. Y últimamente, me gusta enseñar los trabajos que hago. Me mantiene al dia y me obliga a superarme. Me vuelve loca de alegría ver a gente mirando mi trabajo, y la experiencia de ganar un premio por primera vez es indescriptible. Cada pinchazo, cada vez que me tocó descoser una costura o me desanimé a medio camino, se olvida cuando alguien juzga mi trabajo lo suficientemente bueno como para premiarlo.

Y acolcho por los hilos invisibles que unen a todos los que acolchamos, en el presente y en el pasado, en la vida real y mediante internet. Con una taza de café por medio o con las teclas del teclado, es el mismo nexo de unión que sucedía cuando las mujeres se sentaban hace doscientos años para coser. Y lo más alucinante: las mujeres de hoy en día hacen historia y aún eligen hacer quilts.

5 Comments:

Blogger la tieta Rosa said...

Y yo nunca te he contado que la primera vez que una amiga mia me dijo: voy a hacer patchwork!
yo me reí de ella y le dije:
Vaya tontería!!!! comprar tela para luego cortarla!

pspsps no se lo digas a nadie ;-)

12:11 AM  
Blogger TiempoSoria said...

Cuando me preguntan por mis aficiones y cuento que hago patchwork y me miran con ojos grandes contesto "soy de las locas que compran telas grandes, las cortan en trozitos y los unen para obtener nuevamente un trozo grande"
:-))

5:27 AM  
Blogger luzblue said...

Gracias por tu comentario en mi blog. He visto un poco por encima tus trabajos y que me hayas visitado es todo un honor para una principiante como yo.
Esta noche la dedicare a ver con detenimiento tu blog y a aprender un poco de ti.
Y sobre todo gracias por traducirlo al español.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hace unos dias enredando por ahí ví tu blog, me gustó mucho y entro cada dos o tres dias a ver que hay de nuevo, no te puedes imaginar la gracia que me ha hecho tu referencia a la casa de la pradera. Mi primer intento de hacer un quilt se inspiró precisamente en esa serie. Junté cuadraditos y ya no pude hacer más porque no sabía nada de nada, ni acolchar ni rematar. Aún anda por ahí ese "quilt" al que tengo un cariño especial.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Thank you for answering - I loved reading your thoughts. They led me to your blog!

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home