The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Of Free Machines And Finished Quilts

I put the last stitches on the binding yesterday. What a relief it is to know it's ready and I have a couple of days left to make a label and a sleeve and call it done. I started feeling the quilt anxiety as soon as I put it in the washer to wash, and for the next three days, I'll be a human bear, getting more and more unbearable as Wednesday nears :) The technical details: It measures 4o" x 40", hand everything including hand stitched binding on both sides, cotton, made between mid June and 16th September.

Once it was dry and put away, we decided to go for a walk. The evening was cool, there was a nice breeze going, so we went a different route than usual. On a yard, we saw a sewing machine in a cabinet with a "free, you haul" sign I had to look at twice to believe it. My first thought was "ah, broken machine, someone doesn't want to haul it to the dump". Steve thought otherwise. One way or another, the one hour walk back was more of a thirty minute brisk jog. He went to fetch it, brought it back and She works! It's a Singer Touch and Sew 756. The only thing missing is the manual. Not a bad walk after all! She's in my room already, I've oiled it, cleaned it and she seems to run ok. I will need the manual before I can really sew and She might need new feed dogs and bobbins, but otherwise I think I can get a few years use out of it.

Ayer puse las últimas puntadas en el ribete. Qué gusto me da pensar que tengo dos dias para hacerle una etiqueta y la manga y poder decir que está terminado del todo. Me empezaron a dar los nervios cuando lo metí en la lavadora, y durante los dias que me quedan me pondré más y más nerviosa hasta que esté inaguantable. Los detalles técnicos: Mide 40 pulgadas cuadradas, está todo hecho a mano, hasta el ribete, es 100% algodón y lo hice entre mediados de junio y mediados de septiembre.

Una vez que se secó decidí que fueramos a dar un paseo para aprovechar la tarde tan maja que hacía. Fuimos más lejos de nuestra ruta normal. En un jardín vimos una máquina de coser con un cartelito que decía "gratis si te la quieres llevar". Yo pensé que estaría estropeada, pero Steve dijo que merecía la pena ver si funcionaba. La hora o así de camino de vuelta la hicimos en media hora a paso ligero. Se fue a por ella, la trajo, la enchufamos y Ella funciona! Es una Singer Touch and Sew 756. Lo único que le falta es el manual de instrucciones, pero por lo demás parece que está bien. Ella ya está en mi habitación, la he limpiado, la he engrasado y aparte de cambiarle los dientes de arrastre y comprar canillas nuevas, creo que le puedo sacar jugo unos años.

4 Comments:

Blogger mitas said...

¡¡¡FELICIDADES!!!

Tambien estoy nerviosa por saber los resultados.

Seguro que le sacaras partido a la maquina ;-))

petonets

3:07 AM  
Blogger la tieta Rosa said...

jajajajaj
Pues se vé muy pero que muy bien :-)))))
ELLA es bien bonita ;-)

4:41 AM  
Blogger Nueiver said...

Vamos a tener que hacer un concurso de belleza de Ellas.
"la más b_ELLA del Universo" :)))))

Del quilt hace días que me quedé
tal que así:
......................!!!!!!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Estrella said...

Que suerte María encontrarte la máquina jajaja. Yo la que tengo es de mi madre, tendra la máquina unos 50 años era manual y yo le puse su pie electrico y bueno me esta dando un buen provecho.Cada una se busca sus mañas para sacar rendimiento a lo que tiene

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home