The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

Random thoughts of three or four cats and I about the importance of wearing slippers if you happen to share your home with a quiltmaker who drops pins, and other similar and related nonsense, from fabric to gardening and of course, about the cats who inspire all this madness. En inglés y en español.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho, United States

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Of Getting To The Point Of No Return

Or so it feels with the Nearly Insane Quilt. I have nine and a half blocks left to sew, and today I realized I have reached the point of no return... I left the worst for last, feels like. I didn't make them in order, that was partly my mistake, partly making the ones I had the right fabrics for and, admittledly, making some I liked more because I wanted to see them in fabric. I've wrestled this block for ten days, literally.


I had cut it two years ago, I had been putting it in the bottom of the to do pile. Finally, with the pile of baggies all gone, I had no choice but to buckle down and make it. I changed it, to make the hand piecing a little less of a pain (I ought to say in my defense those 1/2 inch hst don't lay flat no matter what one does, short of taking a hammer to them). However, faulty and all, it's done. It's one of the ones that make me wonder what Salinda Rupp was thinking the day she thought "Jolly good, I think I will make a block that looks like some sort of squished up ladybug!".



I had to start cutting blocks again, made a list, my usual visual aid to panic moments. As it stands today I have three which will be nasty, two that fall in the middle of the road, and four I think I can make easily enough. One is a doozie. I've set a goal to do all the hard ones first, and try to leave the easy ones for dessert.

Days like today, I'm grateful because Rosa is making this trip down insanity lane with me. I think I'd be tempted to sit and stare at my list for another two years otherwise :)

Parece que cuanto más me acerco a llegar al final de los bloques del Nearly Insane, más me queda para verlos terminados. Me quedan nueve bloques y medio y me he dado cuenta que he dejado algunos de los peores para el final. No los hice en orden, mi culpa. Algunos los hice porque tenía la tela adecuada a mano, otros los hice porque me gustaban y quería verlos hechos. He estado con el de la foto diez dias, hasta que lo he terminado.

Lo había cortado hace dos años, durante dos años lo he estado escondiendo en el fondo del montoncito de bolsas de sandwich, hasta que he llegado al fin de las bolsas y ahí estaba esperando. Lo cambié ligeramente para hacerlo más fácil para coserlo a mano y aún así ha quedado un poco churro (aunque debo decir en mi propia defensa que los triangulitos de 1/2 pulgada no planchan planos a no ser que les des martillazos). Es uno de los que me ha hecho pensar en lo que estaría pensando Salinda Rupp el día que decidió hacerlo "Hoy voy a hacer un bloque que parezca una mariquita espachurrada!".

Hoy he tenido que empezar a cortar bloques otra vez y he hecho una lista de los que me quedan, lo que suelo hacer cuando me da el pánico y necesito una ayuda visual. Me quedan tres difíciles, dos ni fáciles ni difíciles y cuatro fáciles. Uno es de poner los pelos de punta. Mi meta es hacer los difíciles primero y dejar los más fáciles de postre.

En dias como hoy, estoy agradecida a Rosa por meterse en este jaleo conmigo. Si no fuera así, posiblemente pasase los dos siguientes años mirando mi lista y sin coser una puntada :)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Venga, María, ésto está "chupao" :)))
Diez... nueve... ocho....
Deseando verlo terminado
Besicos

3:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ánimo que no queda nada, piensa en lo feliz que serás cuando los veas todos juntos

2:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

se me olvidaba, el bloque de la foto precioso!!!!

2:22 PM  
Blogger laurapatch said...

Venga, que sólo te quedan 3 difíciles.
¿Cómo se pueden coser triángulos de 1/2"?????
Ahora entiendo porqué se llama Nearly Insane :)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

The block looks good to me! Did you press the seams on your half square triangle squares open? Marsha McCloskey recommends that for any half square triangle square that finishes at 1" or less. I found it made a huge difference in getting the blocks to lay flat. I can hardly wait to see the top together - it's going to be spectacular! Love the colors on this block - so alive!

6:25 AM  
Blogger la tieta Rosa said...

NO hay nada difícil para mi amiga MariaJones ;-)
acuerdate que ya tengo vacaciones y nos tenemos que poner a coser juntas cada dia un rato como dijimos que luego hay que empezar con las cestas!!!
un beso muy grande!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:28 PM  
Blogger luzblue said...

Ya lo tienes a punto de caramelo, como se dice por aqui. Eso de la mariquita espachurrada me ha hecho mucha gracia, eres genial. Lo de coser bloques de 1/2" lo veo un poco complicadillo, menos mal que a míme queda mucho para llegar a eso.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home